Monday, November 01, 2004

Preface

This is a very quick, very rough first draft. I know that much of this will have to be pitched and the rest reworked. I believe that a lot of this work will turn out to be exposition, back story. My hopes are that 1) getting a draft down will open the floodgates and make me less afraid to write, and 2) somewhere in this pile there will be the kernel of a good story that I can develop into a robust second draft.

I didn't set out to write The Great American Novel here. I worked for 7 years in educational publishing, in both the editorial and marketing departments. My experience taught me that the primary consideration for having a book that sells well is not great writing. Of course, great writing is a wonderful selling feature, as is telling a great story. But in order for a book to really sell, it has to be marketable. What I've set out to create here is a very marketable series of books.

And I'll be honest: I think that I have something to say and I think that this is a light-hearted, fun, potentially income-producing way to say it.

--Sarahlynn